Don’t be another statistic!
You heard me right… If you’ve been feeling like a human stressball, or you’re on your third cup of coffee just to make it through the morning, you might be dealing with more than just a rough day—you could be burned out.
As someone who’s walked through the fire of burnout myself, I know how important it is to understand what we’re up against.
That’s why I’m sharing these eye-opening statistics on burnout for 2023. (It’s WAY more common than we ever thought! Yes, a little scary to think about!)
The Power of Recognizing Burnout
Ignoring the signs of burnout can lead to severe consequences, including reduced productivity, strained relationships, and even physical illness! (I speak firsthand on that last point!)
Yet, despite its prevalence (hello, a jaw-dropping 77% of professionals report feeling burned out), is a topic that is still brushed under the rug far too often.
The more we educate ourselves, the better we can spot the warning signs before we hit our personal breaking point.
After all, how many more statistics do we need before we realize that burnout is not just a buzzword but something that demands our attention?
Why Do We Deny, Deny, Deny?
So, why do so many of us try to deny or downplay our burnout? (Myself included!) Well, the reasons can be complex.
Social pressure, fear of appearing “weak,” and the illusion that we can “handle it all” can all contribute to this dangerous denial.
Sometimes, we trick ourselves into thinking that feeling drained is just part and parcel of the ‘hustle culture,’ when, in fact, it’s a cry for help that we shouldn’t ignore.
Whether you’re from the corporate world like me, a healthcare worker, or working remotely, the burnout epidemic spares no one.
15 Burnout Statistics To Take Note
I’m sharing these mind-blowing statistics not to scare you but to shed light on the elephant in the room….
1. Mind-Boggling Prevalence: A whopping 77% of professionals have reported experiencing burnout at their current job. Talk about an epidemic! Source: Deloitte
2. Oh, The Millennials!: Millennials, the generation I proudly belong to, have been labeled the “burnout generation” with 84% having reported feeling excessively tired due to work. Source: Yellowbrick
3. Medical Professionals Aren’t Spared: Around 42% of physicians report feeling burnout. Yes, even the people taking care of our health need care themselves! Source: Medscape
4. Zoom Fatigue is Real: 38% of remote workers struggle with burnout. Virtual meetings, anyone? Source: FlexJobs
5. Mental Toll: Over 63% of burnout sufferers say their work-related stress impacts their mental well-being. Source: CareerBuilder
6. Burnout Hits Your Wallet: Burnout-related absenteeism, turnover, and reduced productivity cost the US approximately $300 billion annually! Source: The World Health Organization
7. Burnout in Paradise: Ironically, 83% of US workers suffer from work-related stress. And we thought the US was the dreamland! Source: The American Institute of Stress
8. The Gender Lens: Women are 63% more likely to take a sick day due to burnout than men. Source: Mind Share Partners
9. Leaving Isn’t Easy: Over half, about 56%, of US workers who experienced burnout still didn’t take a vacation! Source: Allianz Global Assistance
12. Employee Turnover Troubles: Burnout is the reason behind almost 31% of employee turnover in organizations. Source: SHRM
13. Work-Life Imbalance: Around 68% of workers believe that their employers do not do enough to prevent burnout. They call for a better work-life balance. Source: University of Phoenix
14. Relationships at Risk: About 85% of adults believe that their work affects their relationships, especially due to burnout. Source: Wrike
15. More Than Just Work: 26% of US adults believe they are on the verge of a breakdown. Remember, burnout can transcend the professional sphere. Source: Prevention Magazine
Wrapping this up, burnout might seem like this generation’s buzzword, but these numbers? They paint a different reality…
The Wrap – Burnout Statistics
It’s clear that the burnout epidemic is real, widespread, and deeply concerning. Speaking from personal experience, I can assure you that burnout is a maze of mental, emotional, and physical exhaustion that no one should have to navigate alone.
While the statistics we’ve reviewed today are alarming, remember that they also serve as a wake-up call for each of us to prioritize our well-being.
And PLEASE remember… Burnout is not a sign of weakness or a badge of honor; it’s a red flag that your mind and body wave when they’re pushed to the limit.
Stay strong, and take care….
I’m cheering you on!