No doubt, the idea of self-love has gained popularity lately on a global scale! But it looks a little different for everyone – and many of us don’t even know where to begin! This has personally been hard for me dealing with chronic illness & migraines, but there’s hope for us all!
So, you want to start a self love routine this year and learn to RESPECT yourself, look no further than these page-turners. (And curling up with a book is a GREAT start!). Starting something new is always challenging, but these books will help you take the first step!
No matter who you are, learning to ditch negative self-talk, quieting your inner critic, and getting out of your own way can be SUPER powerful! Self-love is essential for overall well-being and fulfilling life. So, I’ve put together some of the best self-love books you need to snag this year!
Let’s get to it –
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through a link.
- 1. The Self-Love Workbook: A Life-Changing Guide to Boost Self-Esteem, Recognize Your Worth, and Find Genuine Happiness by Dr. Shainna Ali
- 2. Radical Self-Love Book: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Your Life by Gala Darling
- 3. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown
- 4. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
- 5. The Self-Compassion Workbook: A Proven Way to Accept Yourself, Build Inner Strength, and Thrive by Kristin Neff
- 6. Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It by Kamal Ravikant
- 7. The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance—What Women Should Know by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman
- 8. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
- 9. Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life by Susan David
- 10. The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- 11. The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle.
- The Wrap-Up – Best Self Love Books
1. The Self-Love Workbook: A Life-Changing Guide to Boost Self-Esteem, Recognize Your Worth, and Find Genuine Happiness by Dr. Shainna Ali
Ok, this isn’t really a book, BUT…. this workbook offers a step-by-step guide to developing self-love, knowing your own worth, and improving self-esteem. It’s your personal self care guide that includes exercises and prompts to help us identify and work through the factors that may be holding us back and honor our true self (I ordered my copy last month!)
2. Radical Self-Love Book: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Your Life by Gala Darling
In this book, Gala Darling offers a fresh and engaging take on self-love, exploring how to cultivate it in all areas of life, including relationships, career, self-discovery, and personal growth. She also shares her own personal experience and journey to self-love and offers practical tips and tools for us to start applying to our own lives right now! (Btw, most women will relate to her story!)
3. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown
Who doesn’t LOVE Brené Brown, right?! This book is a powerful and inspiring exploration of the importance of self-acceptance and vulnerability. In true Brene style, she backs this book with tons of research. She encourages us to embrace our imperfections and be kind to ourselves, arguing that this is the key to living a fulfilling and authentic life. And I couldn’t agree MORE!!!
4. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
Pardon the language, but this had to make the list! Jen Sincero’s book is a fun and irreverent guide to overcoming self-doubt and living a life that is true to oneself. She offers practical advice and exercises to help us develop a stronger sense of self-worth, confidence, and courage to go after our own dreams!
5. The Self-Compassion Workbook: A Proven Way to Accept Yourself, Build Inner Strength, and Thrive by Kristin Neff
Self-compassion is a powerful tool for cultivating self-love, and in this workbook, Kristin Neff offers a step-by-step guide to developing it. She includes exercises, meditations, and other practices to help us learn to be kinder and more understanding toward our true self. And I think we could all be a little less hard on ourselves, right?!
6. Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It by Kamal Ravikant
You’ve probably heard about this book in many circles because it’s so relatable to everyone, not to mention it went viral! And that’s not surprising – this will be one of the most powerful and inspiring books you will read this year. Kamal Ravikant explores the transformative power of self-love and shares practical tools and techniques for cultivating it in daily life from first-hand experience.
7. The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance—What Women Should Know by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman
In this book, journalists Katty Kay and Claire Shipman explore the role of confidence in women’s lives and offer practical strategies for building it. They draw on research and interviews with successful women to provide insight into the ways in which confidence can be developed and applied to various aspects of everyday life. We women are notoriously hard on ourselves!! A book like this is essential to help us start dropping the imposter syndrome, stop apologizing and begin taking the reigns in our own life!
8. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
Again, pardon the language if you’re reading this, mom! But this book was a must-have on this list! In this blunt and humorous book, Mark Manson argues that the key to happiness and fulfillment is learning to focus on the things that truly matter and letting go of the rest. He offers a counterintuitive approach to self-love and self-care, encouraging us to embrace their limitations and imperfections. How many of us could learn to STOP caring what people think, YASSSS!!!
9. Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life by Susan David
In this book, Susan David explores the concept of emotional agility, which she defines as the ability to navigate life’s challenges with flexibility and openness. (I don’t know about you, but I could learn a thing or two about being flexible during life’s ups and downs!) She offers practical tools and strategies for developing emotional agility and cultivating self-love and compassion that we all can use!
10. The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
If you’ve ever been to therapy, you might already have checked this book off your list already. It’s one of the classic self-help books by Don Miguel Ruiz. In this page-turner, he offers four simple but powerful agreements to help us transform our lives. Real quick…
The agreements include the following:
- Be impeccable with your word
- Don’t take anything personally
- Don’t make assumptions
- Always do your best.
These agreements can help us cultivate self-love by helping us start to be more kind and more understanding toward ourselves and others.
11. The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle.
Last, but not least…. One more self-love book that you might want to consider reading is “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” by Eckhart Tolle. In his writing, he explores the concept of mindfulness and offers practical advice for living in the present moment.
He argues that living in the present and cultivating self-awareness can help individuals to let go of negative thought patterns and cultivate a deeper sense of self-love and acceptance.
The book also includes exercises and meditations to help readers practice mindfulness and cultivate a more profound perspective and sense of self-awareness.
Overall, let’s just say it’s at the top of my list!
The Wrap-Up – Best Self Love Books
Overall, these books offer a range of approaches to self-love, and all of them can be valuable resources for anyone looking to improve their personal self-esteem and happiness this year. Whether you’re seeking practical tools or inspiration and guidance, there’s a book on this list that can help you on your journey to loving yourself more fully.
Who’s ready for a self love experiment in the new year?
And did I miss a book about self love that should make the list? Let me know!
All images via Amazon.com
- Why I’ll Never Take My Health for Granted Again: A New Take On Thankfulness & Gratitude
- I Know Better Now, But That Still Doesn’t Mean I’m Not at Risk for Burnout
- Burnout vs. Chronic Fatigue: Everything I’ve Learned About the Difference
- Will I Ever Do Another Ironman?
- 5 Ways to Re-Spark Your Passion When You’re Burned Out