If you’re anything like me when a migraine hits you’re down for the count. It usually means a day of huddling in a dark room with a cozy neck pillow, eyemask, and plenty of ice packs.
New wearable ice packs, known as Migraine Hats, are the latest trend. With wearable hats not only does it ‘freeze’ the affected areas perfectly, but it also stays in place as you need to. (Even if that means rolling around in your sleep!)
So, I’ve tried all types over the years and I’ve learned what a game-changer an icy headache hat can be – it stays put, doesn’t leak, and softly molds to your head! Time to update your fridge or freezer, later frozen peas!
Here’s a list of 5 of the best migraine hats and wearables by me, a migraine warrior~
5 Best Migraine Hats & Wearables to Freezeout Pain
The I.C.E. Down wrap is a well-known manufacturer of hospital-grade reusable gel cold packs. They offer a wide variety cold therapy for the head, shoulder, elbow, etc. – and are used worldwide in orthopedic surgical centers, physical therapy clinics, chiropractors, and hospitals.
- Functionality: The I.C.E. DOWN pack uses a unique gel formula that forms ice crystals allowing it to stay cold longer than similar gel packs. It also uses a multi-pocket system to help stay pliable when frozen for headache and migraine.
- Fit & Comfort: The wrap is made of soft neoprene making it stretchable and secure around the head. While it does fit snugly around the head, you will have to readjust the tightness as the pack ‘softens’ for ideal pain relief.
- Storage: Easily folds in half for freezer storage, therefore not taking up a lot of room. Has a vinyl side for intense cold and a felt fabric side for moderate cold therapy.
- Gel only stays cold for up to an hour (But does offer replacement ice gel packs)
- No freezer pack cover/case
- Only one size fits all
Why I recommend it:
Medical-grad technology with a one-year warranty.
$34.99 on Amazon
IceKap migraine hat is designed specifically for migraineurs by a migraine warrior! It uses a combination of cold therapy and pressure therapy to provide effective natural headache pain relief.
- Functionality: Icekap has a total of 5 soft medical-grade gel packs that cover the temporal, occipital, crown, and parietal areas of the head and neck for complete therapeutic headache coverage.
- Fit & Comfort: Can be adjusted and secured with a compression band with easy velcro straps, plus comes in four different sizes starting at children sized to XL adult for a perfect fit. The soft medical grade gels provide soothing cold therapy for migraine for 45min-1 hours and can be used for both cold and warm. The outer material is made from soft and stretchy fleece making Icekap comfortable to wear over the eyes alleviating the need for a separate eye mask for light-sensitive individuals. (One of the most prominent migraine symptoms!)
- Storage: The large headpiece takes up significant room in the freezer.
- Doesn’t come with a storage bag.
- Price is significantly higher than similar migraine hats (about double)
Why I recommend it:
The only Migraine Hat that also comes in children’s size + uses medical-grade technology with a one-year warranty. Can pair with IceKap’s Therapy Grade Essential Oil (peppermint & lavender) to further the therapeutic healing of the cooling and warming migraine hat.
$79.99 on Amazon
3 ½ Stars
This ice pack was invented by a migraine warrior battling hormonal migraines (the worst kind!). Sherri Pulie was battling an attack one day when she struggled with ice ‘hitting all the right spots’ without dripping everywhere. Plus, she needed to function upright to attend to her kids throughout the day. And just like that, the Headache Hat was born!
- Functionality: Unlike many others, this hat can be pulled down over your eyes also acting as a mask to block light sensitivity. It’s also very versatile – can be wrapped around your neck and shoulders, or used on other body parts for cold therapy of aches and pains.
- Fit & Comfort: It’s SOFT and stretchy cap, unlike many ice packs that remain hard and stiff against an already tender head and sculpt. It’s completely adjustable so individuals can make it as tight or loose as they wish, given their pain level.
- Storage: Comes with a freezer bag to protect from food smells.
- Takes up significant space in the freezer.
Why I recommend it:
The pack stays colder much longer than competitors – up to two hours! Plus it can comfortably be worn to sleep for migraine relief without having to stay in a particular place.
What makes it the best overall?
The headache hat has 24 individual ice packs that contour around the head hitting all the right pain points. (temples, sides, and back of the head). Plus, it comes in two different sizes – regular and large to get the perfect fit!
$39.99 on Amazon
Originally, Dr. Douglas Farrago went in search of a headache/ head pain ice pack to treat concessions after his son suffered a head injury in football. However, the biggest market for Cryohelmet ended up being migraine patients! Cryohelmet users report they experience (at least some) migraine relief after only 30-45 minutes of use.
- Functionality: The Cryohelmet cold packs maintain a consistent soothing temperature for at least 90 minutes of migraine relief. The cold packs freeze solid but remain flexible to wrap your head and neck similar to a snug hoodie complete with adjustable strings.
- Fit & Comfort: The Cryohelmet is completely portable for use at home or on the go. (Although you probably don’t want to leave home with a migraine hat of any kind!) The integrated cold packs can be repositioned for custom fit based on your personal headache and migraine pain points. Comes in two sizes: youth and adult.
- Storage: Comes with its own freezer storage bag AND reusable cold packs to swap out.
- No eye coverage or mask
- Price is on the higher side
Why I recommend it:
One of the only migraine wearables that offer BOTH head and neck cooling relief simultaneously.
$69.99 on Amazon
4 ½ Stars
5. TheraICE Rx (My pick!)
The TheraICE Rx Headache & Migraine Relief Cap combines compression with cold therapy to help reduce pain and promote migraine relief. It’s one of the most well-known, featured on network TV such as Good Morning America (GMA).
- Functionality: Provides smooth 360-degree around-head coverage with both heat and cold therapy options for headache and migraine. (No hard ice pack inserts!)
- Fit & Comfort: Uses a slip-on cap design that stretches easily across the head during a migraine. The comfortable soft gel evenly covers the head’s tension and pressure points during a headache/ migraine without using straps, and/or velcro. Can be worn over the eyes to block out light during intense migraines, or worn just above the eyes to help ease the pain while moving around the house (or in bed!) Comes in one size. (Does come in black and pink!)
- Storage: No freezer bag of accessories included. But the hat is one of the most reasonable deals available for customers shopping headache therapy.
- Only about 20-30 minutes of cool or heat therapy.
- Takes 2+ hours to ‘refreeze’ between wearing.
- (May need to purchase at least two to rotate.)
Why I recommend it:
This brand uses no velcro so it doesn’t get stuck in your hair – and much less bulky than competitors. Plus, has a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 1-year warranty – can’t go wrong giving it a try?
One: $29.99 on Amazon (Current Deal!) | Two Pack: $59.97 on Amazon
Why get a headache and migraine hat?
Switching out bulky ice packs simply isn’t practical for migraine sufferers – continuous relief is a necessity when chronic pain and tension hit! These migraine hats hit all the right pain points with comfort and flexibility you can only get from a cold wearable.
Icing your head has been shown to alleviate migraine and headache pain, reduce concussion symptoms and promote sleep.
Why Trust my Headache Hat Review?
I’ve tried tons of migraine hats and icepack options to find ones that work well enough for the severe pain migraineurs experience. And being a migraine warrior for 20+ years of my life, I understand firsthand. I get it, friend!
For many years migraine and headache sufferers have been icing their heads seeking some form of pain relief. Today, the new migraine hat brands reviewed provides ease and convenience to old-school hard ice packs traditionally used for headaches.
I always have migraine ice in the freezer for when an attack might occur. (Or, to soothe my head after a really bad one) – my head is literally sore with bruise-like patches after attacks – like I got hit or something. (If you suffer, you know!)
Hope my personal reviews are helpful!
And happy icing!